Scholars Program Coordinator
Posted December 21, 2018
New Futures’ Scholars Program Coordinator will lead and manage the selection process for the New Futures Scholars Program, from beginning to end. The Scholars Program Coordinator will manage a caseload of Scholars and will also support the overall coordination and implementation of the Scholars Program. This is a full-time position reporting to the Scholars Program Manager. This is an exciting entry-level position with the opportunity for development and growth.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Recruitment & Selection:
• Recruit applicants through designated organizations (New Futures’ Community Partners):
Serve as primary liaison with partner organizations o Manage communication with Community Partners at each step of the selection process o Lead info sessions (and other recruitment efforts) with prospective applicants o Support Community Partners through the application process as necessary
• Manage New Futures’ application through SurveyMonkey Apply (SM Apply), including making edits to application as needed; Assist Scholars Program Manager in reviewing applications to ensure adherence to eligibility criteria
• Provide support to the Scholars Program Manager in managing the Selection Committee (the panel that reviews, assesses, and interviews all incoming applicants); Assist the Scholars Program Manager in training the Selection Committee; Coordinate communication and logistics for the Selection Committee
• Coordinate all interview night logistics: Recruit, train and manage Scholar & Alumni volunteers to assist with interview nights; Coordinate food, supplies, signage, and set up for all interview and selection nights
Academic & Career Advising:
• Maintain a caseload of Scholars, providing them with ongoing academic and career advising to ensure success in their post-secondary programs: Communicate with Scholars via in-person meetings, text, phone calls, and other means; Supporting Scholars throughout their New Futures tenure, including (but not limited to): follow-up, accountability, guidance and encouragement, referral to resources, and more.
• Manage scholarship payments for all Scholars on caseload
• Track and maintain contact information, scholarship award information, scholarship payment requests, and other critical data for Scholars on caseload
• Assist the Scholars Program Manager with the facilitation, implementation, and planning of Scholars Program events, workshops, and other programming, including Scholar Award Dinners, Scholar orientations, Scholars Weekend, and more.
• Other support as needed, including assisting with other programmatic events, activities, and workshops.
Other Duties as Assigned
• Minimum of an associate degree (AA) in relevant field
• 1-2 years of work, volunteer, or other relevant experience
• Excellent communication (both oral and written) and relationship-building skills, including ability to form relationships with young adults
• Ability to identify and solve problems, including a “whatever it takes” attitude
• Eagerness to learn and improve, including excitement about implementing, executing, and evaluating projects
• Attention to detail
• Ability to adapt quickly (and respond well) to change
• Strong dedication to New Futures’ programs and mission
• Sensitivity to the needs of a diverse Scholar and alumni population
• Ability to attend occasional evening and weekend events
• Bachelor’s degree (BA) in relevant field
• Prior experience in advising students (or working with young adults)
Submit a resume and cover letter to Silvana Rueda (Scholars Program Manager) at email@example.com.
Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.