News & Notes
- Press Release: NEW FUTURES APPOINTS KRIS COLLO TO BOARD OF DIRECTORS
MicroPact Founder & CEO Joins Group Dedicated to Serving Young Adults in Washington, D.C. [See coverage at sys-con.com] Washington, DC – New Futures, a nonprofit organization that provides scholarships, career ...
- NEW FUTURES HONORS INSPIRATIONAL LOW-INCOME DC-AREA YOUTH
Scholarships Assist Students to Obtain Shorter-Term Post-Secondary Education and Good Careers WASHINGTON, DC, June 23, 2014 – New Futures will award $195,300 in scholarships for post-secondary education to 29 local low-income ...
Growing up in Southeast DC, Alphonso Perry had to overcome many challenges at a young age. Now 23, Alphonso is the father of two children who are “the motivation and drive for me to wake up every day and get up and try.” He obtained his GED at Covenant House DC, and quickly realized he needed further education to support his sons. He decided to pursue a longtime passion: barbering.
Alphonso continued to work and never lost belief in himself. He carried his clippers with him, offering haircuts to friends and family. With his New Futures scholarship, Alphonso will continue his education at Bennett Career Institute to achieve his goal of becoming a licensed barber. He dreams of opening a salon called Cater to You.
Upon accepting his scholarship award, beaming, he said “standing here today I feel successful. I feel like I tried, and I accomplished something. I appreciate New Futures for giving me this opportunity to go to school. Without them I wouldn’t have the funds to even pay my tuition.”
Interested in Applying?
New Futures has 12 Community Partners that nominate and mentor scholars. This is our featured Community Partner for the month:
Covenant House Washington was established to address widespread problems of homelessness and poverty among teenagers and young adults. With an open intake philosophy, CHW readily embraces those youth who take the first step to change their lives. No youth in crisis is ever turned away.
New Futures thanks these generous organizations and local businesses for their recent support:
- Anne and Ronald Abramson Family Foundation
- Arcana Foundation
- Capital One
- Community Foundation for the National Capital Region – Share Fund
- Dewey Square Group
- DC Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE)
- Global Skills X-Change
- IKO Foundation
- International Monetary Fund Civics Program
- Marshfield Associates
- May and Stanley Smith Charitable Trust
- Miller & Chevalier Charitable Foundation
- Philip L. Graham Fund
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- The Herb Block Foundation
- The Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation
- The Sutter Group
- The Sunrise Foundation
- United Way of the National Capital Area
- Weissberg Foundation
- The World Bank Group Community Connections Campaign