News & Notes
- New Futures Celebrates Our Newest Scholars
On Wednesday, January 10, more than 100 people attended New Futures' Scholar Award Dinner to honor our 30 newest scholarship recipients at Maggiano's Little Italy Restaurant in Friendship Heights, Maryland. Our ...
- New Futures Plays Key Part at Major Workforce Event
On Friday, January 10, New Futures' Director of Student Programs Julene Jarnot served as a panelist at The Office of the State Superintendent of Education's (OSSE) fourth annual "Post-secondary and ...
Having immigrated from El Salvador, Flor spent three years studying English at the Next Step Public Charter School at the Latin American Youth Center. She received earned her GED in 2001 and received the New Futures Scholarship in 2002. She was a consistent honor roll student at the SANZ School and received her medical assistant certification in 2003. She is presently working at the Columbia Road Public Health Center as a medical assistant, serving her own community of Columbia Heights. She is getting ready to use a second New Futures scholarship to obtain additional education and become a Registered Nurse, continuing to serve her community as a bi-lingual public health worker.
Interested in Applying?
New Futures has 12 Community Partners that nominate and mentor scholars. This is our featured Community Partner for the month:
Covenant House Washington was established to address widespread problems of homelessness and poverty among teenagers and young adults. With an open intake philosophy, CHW readily embraces those youth who take the first step to change their lives. No youth in crisis is ever turned away.
New Futures thanks these generous organizations and local businesses for their recent support:
- The Sunrise Foundation
- The Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation
- Advisory Board
- Capital One
- The Anne and Ronald Abramson Family Foundation
- The Arcana Foundation
- The CityBridge Foundation
- The Community Foundation for the National Capital Region – Share Fund
- The Herb Block Foundation
- The IKO Foundation
- The International Monetary Fund Civics Program
- The Junior League of Washington
- The May and Stanley Smith Charitable Trust
- The Miller & Chevalier Charitable Foundation
- The United Way of the National Capital Area
- The Weissberg Foundation
- The World Bank Group Community Connections Campaign